Blazers & Vests cleaning with steam
If your suit just needs freshening up then steam is your friend. If you’ve got access to a clothes steamer then that’s great but if not then a steam iron can be effective too. Just make sure you keep the steam a safe distance from your suit and test in an inconspicuous area first.
How to clean a Blazers & Vests at home
If you’re not a fan of the steam method, then you can learn how to dry clean a suit at home without it. Some stores sell suit cleaning kits which provide special sheets and a bag to use in the tumble dryer but this is not always necessary. Try the method below to revive your suit without any specialist ingredients:
- Read the label: Check what material the suit is made of – silk, polyester, linen, cotton and wool can all be cleaned at home in most cases.
- Do a patch test: Dip a cotton bud in water and rub it on the inside of your suit (somewhere that won’t be noticeable). Check to see if any colour appears on the bud. If it does then your suit should go to the dry cleaners to avoid damaging the colour.
- Choose your washing method: More durable materials can be machine washed but delicates should be washed by hand.
- Machine wash: If your suit can be machine washed, turn your garments inside out and place in a mesh laundry bag. Wash on the gentlest setting you have with a cold temperature. Use a quality detergent like Active Wheel and always read the instructions before use.
- By hand: If your suit needs to be hand washed, fill a bowl or sink with a mild detergent and water and submerge your clothes. Gently rub at any marks or dirty areas and empty the sink when you’re happy. Refill with cold water only and rinse any remaining detergent away.
- Dry: Whether hand washing or machine washing, one of the biggest parts of knowing how to clean a suit is drying it the right way. A really good method is to wrap your garments in a towel and gently squeeze to remove water. Repeat the method as necessary and then lay everything flat to finish drying.
Once you’ve learned how to dry clean a suit at home you can save a lot of money and time.